Did you know that lacto-fermented garlic far surpasses the nutritional value of fresh garlic? Studies have showed that the fermentation process significantly raises it’s healing properties and bioavailability. Nutrients in fermented foods such as garlic are much easier for the body to digest and assimilate.
Why Fermented Garlic is Better
- One study found that fermenting the garlic increased antioxidant properties by up to 13 times compared to the control garlic.
- Studies also show that fermented garlic contains high levels of hydrogen peroxide created during fermentation. Hydrogen peroxide is able to destroy harmful bacteria, viruses and fungi. As a result, fermented garlic is one of nature’s most powerful antibiotics.
- In 2004, the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry published a study wherein it was discovered that garlic that was “pickled” with a brine fermentation process has more nutrients than raw garlic.
- The fermentation process significantly increases the levels of most amino acids and other nutrients such as riboflavin (Vitamin B2), alpha-tocopherol (Vitamin E), glutamic acid and arginine.
How to Make Fermented Garlic
- 3 heads garlic
- Filtered water
- Kosher salt (or another non-iodized salt)
- Peel as many cloves as it takes to fill the jar. Put the cloves of garlic into a mason jar, leaving an inch-and-a-half of space at the top.
- Create a salt brine by dissolving the salt in the water. Use ½ teaspoon of sea salt for each cup of filtered water.
- Add the brine to the jar to cover the cloves. ( I use these jars)
- Put the lid on the jar loosely and set it on your kitchen counter.
- Open the jar once a day to release the pressure created by fermentation.
- It might take a few days to a week for fermentation to begin. You can tell when you see tiny bubbles in the brine. The brine will also start to take on a nice golden-brown color.
- Leave on the counter for several days. You have several choices at this point – you could allow fermentation to continue for even up to a month or more.
- When you decide that it is done, screw the lid on firmly and put it in the fridge to store.
Take Reishi to help your body increase immunity and overall health
Reish mushroom is one of the most effective foods that’s able to strengthen your immune system fast.
Reishi is loaded with nutrients that include carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and fiber, as well as potassium, calcium, magnesium, selenium, iron, and zinc, among other minerals.
It fights bacteria and viruses and strengthens the immune system. It also prevents from liver damage, diabetes, and cancer.