You probably never wondered about your store receipts, and honestly, why would you? After all, it’s just a small innocent piece of paper, right? Not, so much. Most receipts are coated in BPA, a toxin known to cause infertility and cancer. Paper receipts are “thermal” paper, printed via a heat process which requires a pretty large infusion of BPA for the numbers to appear.
Studies have discovered that thermal receipts can contain BPA that is 250 to 1,000 times greater than the amount in any canned food. In fact, there’s more BPA in just one paper receipt than the total amount that would leach out from a plastic water bottle that has been used for many years. A recent study finds touching store receipts causes BPA to stay in the body much longer than if it’s ingested.
Why Is BPA Bad?
BPA is highly toxic and has been directly linked to:
- Infertility in both males and females and an increased risk of miscarriage
- BPA is a potent estrogen mimicker. In women, excess estrogen can lead to troublesome PMS, PCOS , increased depression, higher body fat, and a higher risk of breast cancer.
- Disruption of important hormones leading to PCOS and abnormal thyroid function
- Insulin resistance: BPA decreases insulin sensitivity and makes it very difficult to lose weight.
- Can lead to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression
Just say no when they ask if you would like a receipt, or go paperless if that is an option.
Detox your body from these harmful chemicals
Did you know that spirulina can help pull out BPAs and other plastic residue. The biology of spirulina allows it to naturally absorb toxic and unwanted heavy metals from your body. It is a very effective way to detox your body. The chlorophyll in spirulina cleanses the blood and allows the body to use oxygen more effectively. It neutralizes and excretes toxins.