Here’s a super immune boosting homemade cough and cold syrup that will help shorten the duration and alleviate the symptoms of a cold or cough.
All the ingredients in this homemade cough and cold syrup have powerful healing properties to aid in helping a cold and cough:
Raw Honey – According to multiple studies, honey is just as effective in helping a cough as over the counter cough medicine (source). And it’s no wonder why. Honey contains powerful anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacterial and viral diseases. Just make sure your honey is raw and not heat treated. The beneficial nutrients and enzymes get destroyed when the honey is not raw. Finding local, raw honey is always best, but if you can’t find it, THIS is a great option.
Coconut oil – The large amount of lauric acid in coconut oil kills bacteria, viruses and fungi, which helps to starve off infections. Furthermore, when coconut oil is enzymatically digested, it also forms a monoglyceride called monolaurin. Like lauric acid, monolaurin also kills harmful pathogens like bacteria, viruses, and fungi (source).
Fresh Lemon – Lemons are packed with Vitamin C and flavonoids, which aid in supporting the body’s natural defenses.
Cinnamon – Cinnamon contains anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties.
*Do not give this homemade cough and cold syrup to children under one year old, as they should not consume honey.
- 3 tablespoons raw honey (Find it HERE)
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted (Find high quality coconut oil HERE)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (find it here)
- Combine all ingredients until well mixed. (Do not heat your honey. Heating destroys the beneficial enzymes. If you must heat your honey, do so at the lowest temperature possible)
- Take 1-2 teaspoons, 3 to 5 times a day at the first sign of a cold or cough.
Leave a Reply