Tilapia is the most eaten fish in the U.S because it’s cheap and easy to find in any supermarket. But chances are, the tilapia you eat daily is farm raised and worse for you than any type of junk food because there is a huge difference between a fish that has been caught in the wild and a farm raised fish.
Farm Raised Tilapia Can Cause Inflammation
One of the most disturbing facts about tilapia is the fact that it contains high levels of arachidonic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid that has been linked to severe inflammation and, thus, may cause brain disorders like Alzheimer’s.
Compare to other fish, farm-raised tilapia is loaded with an unhealthy kind of omega-6. In fact, it has less than 0.5 grams of omega-3s per 100 grams of fish.
Health Dangers of Farm Raised Tilapia
- Almost all farmed tilapia in US is drug treated
- Farm-bred fish have high concentrations of antibiotics and pesticides, due to the increased risk of disease spreading through crowded conditions.
- Use of hormones. Did you know that the reason tilapia is so cheap is due to the use of the hormone drug 17alpha-methytestosterone. The hormone is used to convert the young females to males since raising an all male population helps farmers to produce bigger fish in a shorter time period with much less feed.
- High Levels of Dioxin. According to the Environmental Working Group, tilapia is extremely high in dioxin which is a toxic chemical that can lead to various cancers; it can take up to 11 years to clear your body of this toxin once consumed.
- High levels of Mercury. A study published in the Environmental Pollution journal stated that mercury concentrations in tilapia exceed the recommended levels for consumption among pregnant women.
You should detox toxins from your body
Fortunately, it is quite easy and inexpensive to cleanse your body of toxins by adding certain supplemental foods to your diet such as spirulina.
Spirulina is an edible blue-green algae. It is known for its distinctive green color and strong odor. It delivers a strong dose of protein, all eight of the essential amino acids, iron, folic acid, B vitamins, selenium, and manganese, resulting in strong therapeutic benefits. Spirulina can be effective in removing toxins from the nervous system and the liver.