You probably never thought about the benefits of Ceramic Knives. When you visualize Ceramic, you might be thinking of tiles or mugs and thinking they are made from the same materials.
In fact, a ceramic knife is made from non-metallic material called zirconium dioxide and also known as zirconia. Therefore, Ceramic knife is the sharpest knife available today. Ceramic knife is sharpened with the diamond which is the only material harder than Zirconium dioxide.
Here is why you should be using Ceramic Knives
- Ceramic knives are less porous then stainless steel knives because they are made from compacted zirconia. Thus, the less porous knife will not retain any micro remnants from the food that you sliced.
- Ceramic knife is pure and contains no metal ions. This means that the taste, smell and color of your food will not be affected with metal ions.
- The blades are non-porous, preventing bacterial growth.
- Ceramic knife will not rust so the blade will always look like new.
- Ceramic knives are easy to use. With their light weight and extreme sharpness, it makes it super easy to slice through food.
- Ceramic is 100% stainless, making it immune to acids and caustic substances.
- Ceramic knives maintain their sharpness for 10 times longer than steel knives.
Nutritional Benefits of Ceramic Knives
Nutritional studies have found that chopping fruits and vegetables with a ceramic knife can help retain and increase the nutritional value of your produce. This is because ceramic knives are made of zirconium oxide which does not react when it comes into contact with the various levels of acids and other substances in fruits and vegetables.
When fresh fruits and vegetables are cut or peeled, the enzyme called polyphenol oxidase contained in the cells is exposed to and reacts with the oxygen in the air. This reaction is called oxidation that turns the fruits and vegetables brown.
However, Ceramic knives should only be used with wooden, plastic, silicon, or bamboo cutting boards.
Ceramic knives should be washed by hand
Your ceramic knife should be stored separately and not in a drawer.