Unfortunately, fabric softeners are loaded with dangerous chemicals and synthetic fragrance which have no business being in our laundry. Although they may make your clothes feel soft, commercial fabric softeners will make them toxic causing headache, lightheadedness, fatigue, serious organ and central nervous system damage, and even cancer.
Commercial Fabric Softeners Contain these toxic chemicals :
- Benyl Alcohol: respiratory tract irritant
- Ethanol: on the EPA’s “hazardous waste” list, can cause central nervous system problems
- Ethyl Acetate: a narcotic on the EPA’s “hazardous waste” list
- Limonene: a known carcinogen that irritates eyes and skin
- Linalool: causes central nervous system damage and cardiovascular problems
- Alpha Terpineol: can cause central nervous damage and respiratory problems
- Camphor: causes central nervous damage, is easily absorbed through skin
- Chloroform: a carcinogenic neurotoxin
- Benzyl Acetate: can cause pancreatic cancer
But here’s the secret; you don’t need commercial fabric softeners.
Add Vinegar to Your Wash
Instead, use one cup of white vinegar about every six weeks; this will remove the soapy residue that makes towels feel rough. Vinegar will bring back softness and restore your towels’ absorbency. Simply run the towels through a regular washing cycle, then redo them using vinegar instead of soap.
Seriously, skip the fabric softener and opt for vinegar!