Tea couldn’t possibly have any toxic chemicals or pesticides in it, right? Most of us think that generally drinking tea is safe. But this could not be further from the truth. Unfortunately, a lot of tea companies (even the organic brands) do not source their products from clean growers.
A study published in the Journal of Toxicology discovered that over 70% of the teas that they tested contained very high levels of lead and 20% had aluminum and other metals.
“The organic teas had significantly higher levels of lead contamination if left steeping for more than 15 minutes than the regular teas. Otherwise there was no significant difference in levels of contaminants between organic teas and regular off the shelf teas.”
In fact, the organic teas manufactured in China are the worst. Many teas are loaded with pesticides, heavy metal residues and fluoride. Most tea leaves are sprayed with pesticides which are not then washed off. The result – these toxins end up in your tea cup. Many companies use older tea leaves to cut cost. The older the tea leaf the higher concentration of heavy metals and fluoride.
Popular Tea Brands Full of Chemicals and Pesticides
An investigation led by CBC News studied the pesticide levels in popular tea brands:
- No Name
- Red Rose
- King Cole
- Lipton (two specific types, pure green tea and yellow black label tea, were studied)
- Uncle Lee’s Legends of China (types tested include green tea and jasmine green tea)
Through the investigation, it was found that a shocking number of all the teas tested contained pesticide levels higher than the legal limit and multiple chemicals such as Endosulfan and monocrotophos.
NATURAL FLAVORS ARE NOT NATURAL
And those “natural flavoring” additives…are not so natural. It’s still artificial flavoring, but because it started from a natural product it can say “natural.”
Great news. There are still safe pesticide-free tea brands out there
- Organic Numi Tea: “Our teas are pesticide-free and non-GMO verified,” confirms a company rep. “Our tea bags are made from manila hemp cellulose, and free of epichlorohydrin.
- Organic Traditional Medicinals: “Our herbal teas are put into unbleached bags made from abacá (Musa textilis), also sometimes known as manila hemp,” says its website.
- Stash Organic Tea “The bags are made from oxygen washed manila fibers with no polluting whiteners used,” says company rep. “Once filled, the bags are crimped and sealed with 100% cotton string.”
DETOX TOXINS FROM YOUR BODY
Fortunately, it is quite easy and inexpensive to cleanse your body of toxic substances by using foods in your diet such as spirulina.
( you can find it here) It is known for its distinctive green color and strong odor. Spirulina is the most effective food that removes heavy metals from the nervous system and the liver. It has the most detoxifying effect on your body.